If you are dealing with mildew odor, fungus smells, mold smell, basement odor or a musty smell that just won’t go away, an air purifier may be the only thing that can help. Musty odors are some of the most difficult kinds to banish because oftentimes, they come from within your walls or areas of your home that are hard to clean. Moisture is also a factor. Moisture can easily pervade the lower areas of your home, which is why basement odor is so common. In the following article, we will review 3 of the best air purifiers for musty smell and talk about the benefits of air purifiers.
The Best Air Purifier for Musty Smell & Mildew Odor
Best Air Purifier for Musty Smell & Mildew Odor Reviews
Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier
The permanent Plasmawave filter of the Winix 5500-2 is what gives it its odor eliminating ability. It breaks down bacteria in the air that cause odor in the first place. This is a great purifier for smaller rooms and features a washable carbon filter. The controls are intuitive and it is easy to set up right out of the box.
- Eliminates mold spores
- Has an auto and sleep mode
- Very affordable
Silver Onyx Air Purifier
This Silver Onyx purifier features a three-pronged attack against odors. It has a cartridge filter, an activated carbon filter and a true HEPA filter that eliminates 99% of all air pollutants. It is a compact air purifier and the filters are very easy to change. We put this in a bathroom that had mold smell and it drastically reduced the foul odor.
- Features a UV light the kills odor-causing bacteria
- Has an air ionizer function as well
- Very easy to move from room to room
Coway AP Air Purifier
This is another very compact air purifier that features 3 fan speeds and a 4 stage filtration system. By limiting the amount of volatile organic compounds in the air, this filter effectively reduces mildew odor. The “eco mode” which turns itself off when no airborne pollutants are detected for 30 minutes, is also a nice feature. The true HEPA filter of the AP-1512HH can be washed or replaced.
- Gives you the option to wash the filter instead of replacing it
- Comes in either black or white
Benefits of Using an Air Purifier for Odor
You may be asking yourself why you should use an air purifier for odors. You may be very diligent when it comes to cleaning your home, so why should you buy an appliance to purify the air? The reason you should use an air purifier is that bacteria that causes odor in the first place can be very hard to clean away. Air purifiers are very effective in this regard. There are other benefits to using air purifiers too.
- They make the air in your home healthier to breathe
- They can be used to eliminate odors in any room of your house
- They eliminate pet odors as well
- They are helpful if you have allergies
What to Look for in an Air Purifier for Musty Odor
If you are in the market for an air purifier, there are certain things to look for to ensure you get an effective product. For starters, your air purifier should have a true HEPA filter. Since bacteria are the cause of many odors, you should also make sure that the air purifier you choose effectively kills or removes bacteria from the air.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do HEPA filters remove the odor?
– On their own, no. But some (like the ones in the above list) have activated carbon filters which do absorb odor.
Do humidifiers eliminate odors?
– If the problem is moisture, yes. You may be getting a musty smell, mildew odor or mold smell as a result of moisture saturation in your home. In this case, a dehumidifier will help.
How else can I get rid of mold smell?
– Sprinkling baking soda in or near problem areas of your home can get rid of some of the mold smell or mildew odor in your home.
Despite your best efforts, odors caused from bacteria and sitting moisture can persist. But air purifiers can be very effective for these types of odors. They can also improve your indoor air quality. If you are dealing with persistent and unpleasant odors in your home, consider purchasing an air purifier.